Thursday, October 18, 2012

What's for Lunch?

I ask myself this question everyday as it nears noon and my answer?.... usually I have no idea.  Lunch is my worst meal of the day as far as what to make.  A lot of the time I can think of things for me and Ryan to eat but those things are necessarily things that the girls will eat, like a salad. Everyone is beyond sick of peanut butter sandwiches, in fact the last time I made them for lunch L. through an all out crying fit. It is not uncommon for her to refuse to eat something but it usually doesn't turn into a crying and screaming extravaganza.  I even made an organized lunch chart/menu that I could follow to try and generate some ideas other than sandwiches.  It went something like this each day we would have something different: soup, pasta, salad, sandwiches, and then we could have leftovers a couple times during the week.  I think the idea itself is good but I am struggling with kid friendly ideas for each of those categories.
    We did have a fair amount of success with one idea about a month ago: Tea Party.  The credit for the idea goes to Fancy Nancy.  We fixed up some herbal tea in the morning (our favorite is the Celestial Fruit Sampler) and I added a little sugar so the girls will actually drink it, then we refrigerated it till lunch.  Then we make a bunch of finger foods like: banana or some other kind of bread, cut up veggies, sandwich roll ups - a slice of bread rolled flat with a rolling pin, then spread filling like peanut butter, honey, or jam, then roll it up and cut it in half (or more pieces, think cinnamon rolls) and put a tooth pick in each piece.  The girls loved this, I even let them use their play dishes so they each had a tea cup and little plate. We also invited friends over for the tea party once and that was fun.
   Other than that though I am in need of lunch ideas. Anybody have any favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment